Easy, Delicious Weekly Meal Plans for Busy Moms!
Yes, Pineapple Upside Down Cake sounds unbelievably dated and cheesy. But in fact it's quite delicious and addicting. I have yet to make this dessert for someone and they not exclaim how much they enjoy it. The combination of tart pineapple with sweet caramel placed on top of a buttermilk cake is a combo I'm 100% a fan of.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Caramel and pineapple - yes please! The fruit juices combine with the caramel sauce and soak into the cake resulting in a moist, truly delectable cake. I suggest serving warm and topping with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 1 cup pineapple sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 stick butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place water and sugar in medium sized pot. Don't mix, just place in pot. Turn heat on medium. Continue cooking until the sugar dissolves and turns an amber color. Watch it closely because it will go from delicious tasting caramel to burnt in a matter of seconds. Once it has turned a caramel color, turn off the heat and add the cream. Mix with a wooden spoon and turn the heat back onto low. The caramel may seize up a bit, but continue mixing and heating and it will re-liquify.
- Add the sliced pineapple to the pot and continue cooking for about 10 minutes.
- Spoon out the pineapple pieces and place on the bottom of the greased pan. Continue cooking the caramel on low for about 3-4 minutes so it reduces a bit more.
- Pour the caramel on top of the pineapple pieces. Pour the cake batter (instructions beloon top of the pineapple and caramel.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all of the cake ingredients. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Take out of oven and let it cool for 15-20 minutes. Place a plate on top of the pan, flip it over so the cake comes out upside down and the pineapple is now on top of the cake.
hi, I'm leslie
Whether it's through nutrition, mindfulness, spending more time with family, setting monthly goals, or just finding the things that make us happy in life, finding balance is the ultimate goal. Join me as I try and find balance in my own life.
Let's Stay In Touch!
© 2019 The Truthful Take. All Rights Reserved.