Easy, Delicious Weekly Meal Plans for Busy Moms!
Caesar Salad Ingredients
I love, love, love a good caesar salad. I think an acidic, creamy, salty and cheesy dressing combined with crisp, fresh lettuce is a match made in heaven. While some people may think using anchovy paste is gross, I think it adds some serious savory/umami notes. It's not an absolute must, but I highly suggest trying it at least once or twice and seeing what you think.
Egg Yolk, Really?
Another ingredient that might weird you out is the use of an egg yolk, but this is the ingredient that adds the creaminess and buttery mouthfeel, and you know what? I have been making this dressing with a raw egg yolk for years and have never gotten sick! But, if eating a raw yolk just doesn't sound appealing, substitute it with 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise.
Ways to Use Caesar Dressing
- As a basic salad dressing with romain lettuce - what I call the "classic" caesar salad.
- As a salad dressing, but with different greens. I love to do a mixture of romain, spinach, and arugula. This offers different textures and flavors - especially the pepperiness from the arugula.
- In a wrap - make your salad and put it in a pita or a whole wheat tortilla.
- Add some protein (grilled chicken) to your salad, so it becomes a healthy and fully satisfying entree salad.
- Drizzle the dressing on grilled or baked fish. I recently did this to some salmon and OH MY GOD it paired perfectly with the rich, flaky salmon. I will be doing that again soon.
- If carbs are calling your name, dipping fresh sourdough bread into the dressing is dangerously tasty. Once you start it is very hard to stop.
- A pasta salad - the creamy dressing combined with the hearty pasta, crisp celery, spiciness of raw onion, and roasted chicken makes for the perfect summer picnic or potluck.
- As a side salad to shredded beef sandwiches.
Caesar Salad Recipe
This dressing is so easy to make and actually quite versatile in use. You can pour it on a bed of greens, drizzle on grilled meat for fish, use as a dip with bread, or mix in with pasta for a cold pasta salad.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup good olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese I use Kraft
- 1 squeeze of anchovy paste About 1-1.5 tsp - You can add more or less depending on personal preference
- Salt If needed - This dressing can run salty so taste before adding salt
- romain lettuce, mixed greens, or spinach
In a bowl, combine all ingredients. Use a whisk so the ingredients get fully incorporated. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate for later use.
Other Salads You'll Love
hi, I'm leslie
Whether it's through nutrition, mindfulness, spending more time with family, setting monthly goals, or just finding the things that make us happy in life, finding balance is the ultimate goal. Join me as I try and find balance in my own life.
Let's Stay In Touch!
© 2019 The Truthful Take. All Rights Reserved.